Monday 23 November 2009

Profession? . . "Interior Designer"

Last week, all interior design students had to attend a meeting with an Interior Designer that was at the universiy to talk to us about a networking site only for interior designers, to meet contacts and be able to get in touch with people of the same profession and see what exactly they do. He said a sentence that really stuck in my head and that was so true, it really hit home. Why is it that when we (interior designers) are introduced to someone we don't know and they ask, "So what do you do for a living?", we immediately think oh my god what do I say and in our heads we get embarrassed of what our answer is?

Interior designers are not all cushions and curtains as everyone thinks. This branding by people is the reason why we hate to reply, "I'm an Interior Designer".  I just found this so interesting because you do hesitate when someone asks you this question, for the simple fact they will jump to this presumption that you have done a 'mickey mouse' course at university and the only thing you do is place cushions in a room and play about with decor. The number of times that I have been asked by friends and family, "So what's next years in colour going to be?" or "What's the latest colour for decor?" and I just scream in my head, and reply "I don't know, that's not what I'm doing a degree on". 

We do, learn and design so much more than people seem to realise. Being an interior designer doesn't mean I literally and only design interiors, it means I can 'practically' design anything from furniture to exhibitions and use amazing software that helps me produce a high standard of final work. 

Interior designers are not all cushions and curtains.

No comments:

Post a Comment