Thursday 3 December 2009

Ice Jewellery





This Ice Jewellery has been created by Katharina Ludwig. Some of her pieces have little cup like sections to them to catch the drops of water when the jewellery is melting, however, the rest tend to allow the ice to melt directly onto the wearer. Also everytime it melts it must be recreated and formed before it can be worn again.

If I'm going to be honest when I first came across this, I thought to myself 'Really, what is the point in this?!' To me making jewellery out of ice is just totally useless and I know it is the concept and the meaning behind it that can make this design acceptable but why use ice? why not use glass? it gives the same look and effect to the jewellery only it doesn't soak the wearer in the process and make them have to recreate their beloved piece of jewellry before they can wear it the next time they want to.

Sure these pieces of jewellery have strong aesthetic qualities but has the true practical side of this concept really been thought through??

No comments:

Post a Comment