Thursday 4 March 2010

Garden of Lights at Dundee Botanic Gardens

On Saturday 27th February 2010, my boyfriend and I had bought tickets to go to Dundee's Botanic Gardens for the 'Garden of Lights' evening.


A few weeks ago we seen the posters advertising this event and thought that it would be something enjoyable, fun and hopefully spectacular. A way to see the gardens in a way that we wouldn't normally see them. The tickets were bought and we soon began hyping up the night and wondering what exactly this light show would be like. Also the fact that we were told that this only occurs two nights a year, with this being only it's second year, and the first being a roaring success, we thought we were in for a treat.

So Saturday came, we got the bus and headed into the gardens. The first part was quite interesting and entertaining but not exactly mind blowing. The atmosphere was great and overall we planned to have a good night no matter what. Gradually as the walk continued disappointment began to set in, my feet got wetter and wetter from walking on mushy, muddy grass and the lights got poorer. The gardens where in pitch black with random trees and bushes lit up. It was simply a few coloured lights stuck in the ground and pointed at certain shrubs to highlight them in the darkness. It was nothing spectacular, imaginative or exciting at all.

The night itself was an enjoyable experience and there where a few interesting parts on the lit trail but all in all I was truely disappointed with the event itself. Maybe due to the title and the idea I had in my head I was let down but in my opinion it was very poorly done and needed much improvement. The tickets were £8 each, which, to me, is robbing you blind. I could have honestly seen the gardens in a better light (excuse the pun), during the day without a fancy title and it would only cost £3 entry.

A lovely thought indeed, 'The Garden of Lights' but a big disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment